Branches Release Notes
The updated Slack integration for Abstract Notebooks automatically shares notifications for notebook reviews to one or more of your Slack channels of choice, and unfurls Notebook links pasted into Slack.
We have built a major new product: Notebooks, with built in data and insights on the work, and integrations into other design and development tools. This release is a public preview, and we are rolling out to waitlisted users over the next several weeks.
Notebooks is a new designer-specific platform where cross-functional teams can gather requirements, review designs, and continuously measure what works, all in one thoughtfully-built space.
What’s included in today’s release:
- A beautiful, rich text editor to capture context around any design effort. Fully supports Markdown syntax, emojis, and GIFs.
- A new Figma plugin, which integrates directly with Notebooks.
- ~Add and arrange designs directly from Figma into beautiful presentations that display your work and the context behind it. Any design elements can be added: individual components, frames, or entire pages.
- ~Access all your Notebooks from within Figma, and publish any frames or components you’ve worked on in one click.
- ~Update all your work in Notebooks in a single click, without leaving Figma or having to rearrange or recreate presentations of your work for review.
- Drag and drop image support for most image file formats and GIFs
- Rich comment threads for both text and images help you capture feedback on specific elements within a Notebook.
- Invite important stakeholders to review your work, and get structured feedback in the form of approvals and change requests.
- ~Create unlimited review requests per Notebook, which is helpful for designs that need multiple rounds of review, or different feedback from different audiences.
- ~Close a review once you’ve gotten all the feedback needed to get back to work.
- ~Use the built-in notification system to automate the review process so that you don’t have to remind reviewers for their feedback.
- Set a range of statuses for a Notebook, which helps your collaborators know where you are in the design process across a project.
- A new, bi-directional GitHub integration connects design and development work together in a Notebook.
- ~See the status and other relevant information about GitHub Issues and Pull Requests in a related Notebook.
- ~Notebook links unfurl to show the Notebook name and project over in GitHub.
- Insights surfaces actions taking place across Notebooks; helping you keep track of the work your teams are doing. It includes:
- ~An attention block that tells you which Notebooks might need a review decision, a nudge, or are being reworked.
- ~Top-level counts that display Notebooks and reviews being opened and closed over the past 7 days.
- ~An overview of the spread of activity across busy Notebooks and contributors, helping you understand what’s working well and where there might be blocks.
- ~A deeper look at the range of contributions your team is making, from creating and updating content to feedback and reviews
- Organize your Notebooks into unlimited projects, which represent major work streams or products in your organization.
- New users will see a brief onboarding experience when viewing Notebooks for the first time, to learn about how Notebooks work for design teams and their peers in engineering and product management.
Fixed a crash scenario when saving files from sketch.
- We addressed a compatibility issue with macOS versions Mojave and High Sierra.
Surprise! We’ve added to our Abstract team with the acquisition of Flawless App. Also, we’ve made it easier for you to get help by connecting you with our Support Team right inside the Desktop app.
- You can now contact support from our Desktop app.
- We brought back the ability to create a Collection from the Collections tab. Any Collection created via this route is tied to the Master Branch.
- We added support for Adobe XD version 27.0.
- We improved how search results load when you @mention someone.
- @mentions will now only load an Organization's members as necessary.
- We fixed an issue where opening a file might open an older version than expected after working on multiple Branches or merging a Branch.
- Deleted Branches no longer appear to be accessible under the “archived” Branches filter
- We fixed an issue where the confirmation modal was hidden if you tried to delete a comment from Full Screen mode.
- If an Org admin is designated as a project admin, they’ll start receiving access requests for that project.
- Inspect: We fixed an issue where the properties sidebar would crash if a layer was borderless.
- Inspect: We now display font-style when its detected.
- Inspect: We will no longer scale fixed text layers outside of symbol instances.
- Inspect: We will now estimate the width of text layers in Adobe XD files.
- We added support for Adobe XD version 26.0.
- We improved our Sketch plugin to reduce spinning beachball experiences — the plugin will now quickly save changes in the background. We no longer recommend turning off Sketch’s Autosave.
- We fixed an issue where loading Sketch files (versions 61+) could cause a crash.
- We fixed a bug that sometimes reported unnecessary changes for Adobe XD files.
For the first release after the holiday break, we focused on some less visible improvements to performance and bug fixes. Read our guides published this month on how to build your DesignOps team and your design system with Abstract.
- Non-visual changes are now displayed individually rather than grouped. We also added the ability to filter non-visual changes by their change type.
- Buttons in the titlebar now have tooltips.
- Tabs in the layer preview got a visual refresh.
- Selecting and navigating in Inspect is now faster.
- Fixed an issue where we’d attempt to install the Adobe XD Abstract plugin, even when XD wasn’t installed.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in error state in Inspect for some files.
- Fixed an issue where the total number of Collections on a Branch was displaying incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in incorrect scaling of groups for symbol instances in Inspect.
- Fixed a bug that prevented focusing Linked Libraries on Branches.
- VoiceOver now announces Branch names accurately.
- Fixed some areas where tooltips would flicker if the cursor was in *just* the right spot.
- Set maximum resizable width for Layer sidebars based on window size.
- Fixed some dark mode styles in the emoji picker.
- Text close to images in the activity feed is now enlarged.
- Branch names in Collection thumbnails are now clipped to one line.
- Fixed a bug where closing a Collection opened from the project overview routed the user to Branch overview.
- XD public beta now includes support for files created with XD 25
- We fixed an error when updating a branch with a deleted file that could prevent the update from completing.
- We fixed the behavior of the back button in a newly created collection.
- The total count of collections on a branch is now always correct, previously it got out of sync in some situations.
- Fixed accessibility window title on macOS.
- Fixed incorrect size of windows on differently scaled monitors.
The wait is over — we’re excited to announce Adobe XD file support is in public beta for all Abstract customers! You can now version and manage your Adobe XD files right alongside your Sketch files. Enable the Adobe XD public beta for your Organization today.
- Adobe XD public beta.
- You can now reorder Collections within Branch overviews.
- Annotations now appear with cropped previews in Activity feeds.
- We improved copy on the Branch menu.
- We continue to improve keyboard navigation throughout the application. You can now use the keyboard to navigate between layer thumbnails.
- We improved some error message copy.
- Under Inspect options, you can now toggle on grid and layout canvas settings, even if they aren’t enabled in Sketch.
- When you click on a notification for a comment on a Commit, you’ll now be taken directly to the comment itself, rather than an overview of the Commit.
- When you click on a notification triggered by a comment or reply on a branch, you’ll be routed to a standalone view of that thread on the Branch.
- When a user is mentioned in a Branch Summary, they’ll be notified just like every other instance of being mentioned.
- You can now rename and delete files quickly.
- We included improvements to help files open faster.
- The notification menu loads more quickly.
- You are less likely to see a loading state in the commit window.
- We improved loading times for newly created Collections
- We fixed various visual and layout issues.
- If you change your password, we will log you out of other sessions.
- Fixed a bug where preview images would not load if using presentation mode directly from a Layer.
- Fixed an issue where closing the Layer Detail would navigate you backwards, instead of closing.
- Fixed an issue where links to specific Branch comments were broken.
- The TAB key now navigates to the next item in Quick Jump search results.
- Fixed an issue where the number of Collections was incorrect on the Branch overview.
- Assets: We fixed a bug where Sketch Assets would not consistently load when clicking a Layer in the sidebar.
- Branches: Fixed an issue where double-clicking Create Branch would create two Branches.
- Branches: Fixed an issue where empty files on parent Branches were incorrectly deleted after updating its child Branch.
- Commits: Fixed an issue where double-clicking Merge Branch would create two Merge commits.
- Inspect: Fixed a bug where layout guides would jump when zooming in and out of Inspect.
- Inspect: We now preserve symbol overrides for different properties on the same Layer coming from multiple levels of the hierarchy.
- Inspect: We fixed an issue that could result in an empty shadows property to appear in generated CSS.
- Libraries: It is no longer possible to select an archived library or a library from the current project.
- Libraries: The Manage Libraries and Add Files menu options will no longer appear for Viewers.
- Notifications: Deleted comments no longer have an extra actions menu with no purpose.
- Notifications: If you sign out of one account and into another, Notifications from the previous account no longer persist.
- Projects: Fixed an issue where filtered projects with a space character at the end would produce strange artifacts.
- Fixed a regression that prevented changed assets from automatically generating after a commit. If you experienced this bug, locate the file to right-click then select Generate Assets to manually generate assets.
- Fixed a rare race condition where previews would not generate with commits.
- Fixed an issue that displayed a “Preview does not exist” message would appear in place of an artboard when presenting from the Layer Detail.
Everyone gets a leg up in this release focused on streamlining collaboration. Engineers can now access Sketch’s Grid, Layout, and Guide overlays in Inspect. With Collections filtering, product managers can quickly see what’s been merged. And, designers can see annotations right in their activity feed. Bonus: Read about how we collaborated at Abstract to redesign our blog.
- Sketch’s Grid/Layout/Guides overlays are now available in Inspect.
- You can now see annotations directly in the activity feed so you know exactly what’s being referenced in comments.
- You can now access presentation mode directly from a Layer with the ▶️ icon.
- You can now filter Collections in the Project Collection Gallery by Branch status.
- We revamped our “Create a Branch” modal to give you more information when creating a new Branch.
- You’ll now see a toast message appear in the Abstract app when you commit via quick commit.
- We overhauled the Add File menu in preparation for Adobe XD.
- We added change status filters to the update flow and the advanced Commit form.
- The Files list now shows status indicators for all changed files, and surfaces the number of deleted files.
- There’s a new scroll-to-top button on the Files page.
- As you import files, the “Import Files” dialog now shows when each file has been successfully imported. You’ll also see the new and improved “Import Files” dialog when you drag-and-drop files to import from Finder.
- We renamed the "Go" menu the "History" menu.
- Under the Members list in each project, you can now find Project Admins by their badge.
- Accessibility: We added titles to icon-only buttons. Plus, the Organization switcher and the star icon used to favorite projects are now keyboard accessible.
- Clicking into Branches should feel more responsive.
- You’ll now see skeleton screens in the sidebar while changed files are loading.
- File renaming is now faster.
- Fixed an issue where SCIM-provisioned users were unable to remove members from an Organization.
- We disabled history menu items if they’re unavailable.
- Fixed a bug where a layer’s entire set wasn’t showing.
- We now show all the recent changes in a file on the Files list.
- We now render Collection thumbnails properly.
- Fixed thumbnail zooming for Collections.
- Fixed an issue where Collections still showed an empty state after creating a Collection.
- Fixed a handful of issues when merging pages.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t close the dialog after confirming deletion of a comment.
- Fixed several errors that weren’t properly surfacing.
- Fixed other various copy and styling issues.
- Fixed an issue that unnecessarily prevented Branches from being merged unless reviewed.
- The last Admin in a project now must promote another user to replace them as Admin before they can leave the project.
- We added support for macOS Catalina.
- Fixed an issue that prevented notifications from loading after waking your computer.