Branches Release Notes
The updated Slack integration for Abstract Notebooks automatically shares notifications for notebook reviews to one or more of your Slack channels of choice, and unfurls Notebook links pasted into Slack.
Sometimes your ideas need a little more structure. Whether you need to track a project, take structured notes, or organize data sets, tables are a great way to organize your thoughts. Notebooks users can now add and delete tables in their Notebook by selecting the table icon in the context menu. Tables can be retrofitted to your requirements by resizing columns, adding cell colors, and multi-selecting rows, columns, and cells.
- Added the ability to edit and delete recorded decision blocks. While it's important to maintain the history of decisions in an initiative, sometime you need to correct a typo or add clarifying details or links.
- Updated the custom templates administration page to warn administrators of unsaved template changes, improve cursor movement between title and template body, and add hover text to edit and delete icons to improve accessibility.
- Users can now highlight text in a Notebook, paste a URL from the clipboard, and the text will become a link.
Images and designs are vital components to a building out a Notebook and explaining your work. We have improved the drag and drop functionality when repositioning images and designs in a Notebook to make interacting with these components easier. Here are a few updates we made to improve repositioning images and designs:
- When an image or design selected, the curser will become a hand-grab curser .
- The image or design selected will dim to illustrate that it is selected.
- A thumbnail preview of the design will display it is repositioned
- The cursor will reflect the exact location where the item will be repositioned to.
Notebooks contributors can now edit their Notebook settings to share a Notebook to anyone with the Notebook link. Unauthenticated users viewing a Notebook will be able to read the contents of the Notebook (written and image content, comments, and reviews) but will not have edit access. These unauthenticated users can create an account and request organization access to edit the Notebook.
Contributors can now add decisions to Notebooks to show how and why a design choice was made. Notebook participants can view the series of decisions made in new section at the top of the Notebook. Record a decision title and, if desired, additional information about why, where, and how the decision was made. You can even link to detailed conversations, whether those are in a Review, Comment, meeting recording, chat thread, or elsewhere.
We've collapsed the Reviews section at the top of the notebook to show only the most recent review by default. You can click "View all" to expand and view each of the notebook's existing reviews. We've also moved the "Request review" button next to the status selector to make more room for the notebook's title.
- Design isn’t linear. Moving from project to project as well as designing and building in tandem can lead to losing track of where we started. On Abstract Home, your most recently viewed notebooks and pressing action items are listed for you so that you can continue where you left off.
- Notebook reviewers can now see all their reviews at a glance on the review tab. Reviews are categorized by Assigned to me, My Reviews, and Completed reviews. Users of both Branches and Notebooks can toggle between the reviews that are visible.
- Templates save teams time and ensure that Notebooks have consistent content. Enterprise organizations can now extend the default set of Notebook templates to include custom-defined templates which meet the specific needs of their organizations.
Notebooks Contributors can now resolve individual comments made by themselves or others within a Notebook to indicate that the comment does not require further conversation.
Fixed a crash scenario when saving files from sketch.
- Added support for displaying layer style overrides in inspect
- Added CMD+O and CMD+SHIFT+O shortcuts to open a file
- Items added to collections from the files view will now automatically update to the latest commit
- Fixed an issue that would cause older files stored in Abstract not to open in Sketch 52
- Fixed an issue where changing between pages would not update the UI if they had the same number of artboards
- Fixes some Sketch files on very old commits having missing icons
- We made it easier to add artboards to a collection with Multi-select!
- Support for Sketch 52
- A new login flow design and branding update
- Support for authenticated proxies
- Draft branch reviews are now persisted so you won’t accidentally lose an in progress review
- Branch descriptions now appear on the branches list again
- Deleted artboards and symbols now show a visual preview
- We improved the visual style of artboard previews
- Artboard previews with comments now show a count of how many
- The file tree now has a search filter
- Quitting Abstract now correctly exits all ongoing child processes
- Sidebar vibrancy now works correctly in Mojave
- Estimated width of overridden text layers now respects newlines in Inspect
- Projects are now sorted more naturally, accounting for number at the beginning
- Fixed an issue where some overrides were missing in Inspect
- Fixed another issue in inspect where it was possible to “select” multiple layers at once
- It is no longer possible to rename a branch with uncommitted changes, which would could cause uncommitted work to become inaccessible
- Artboards no longer appear as “changed” on a branch if they were only changed as part of a file version upgrade
- We addressed an issue where inviting viewers via email would try and add paid seats to the organization account.
- Lots more miscellaneous UI fixes
- We made several changes to improve the speed and concurrency of preview uploads, particularly when syncing large commits
- We improved filtering of debug logs to remove false positives and ensure that only logs from Abstract or Sketch are included
- Improved the logic around restarting Sketch after it has crashed, making file opening more reliable
- Fixed an issue that would cause files to not open with no error when clicking on "Edit in Sketch"
- Collections are no longer confusingly displayed on the branch overview when your team is on the Starter Plan
- Comments with long words and URLs will no longer overflow the window bounds when editing
- Fixed an issue that could cause a forever-spinner on “Master files” when all files in a project are removed
- Fixed invisible background not ignored on artboard in inspect
- Fixed artboard preview sidebars animating in at different speeds
- Fixed a “Something went wrong” error on collections when the author of the collection had been removed from the project
- Fixed an issue where annotations would incorrectly show on file upgraded commits if they had been made on the previous commit
- Review Requests streamline your design review process and set expectations for feedback. Read the blog post.
- Layers now show the full comment history across all commits
- A shiny new “Highlight changed values” toggle in Inspect makes it easy to see which layers or properties have changed since the most recent commit
- You can now view all keyboard shortcuts from the help menu or by pressing CMD+/
- Improved sync performance (We’re now serving your project data via CDN)
- The commit composer got a facelift: you can also now click on thumbnails to see them larger and compare against the previous version before committing
- You can now discard individual file changes from the commit composer
- Stale branches are no longer hidden on the project overview
- Project cards now show a more accurate representation of who is working on a project
- We updated the styling of share buttons to be clearer
- Editing the project “About” section is now inline
- Synced Collections are now available offline
- Improved performance of comment loading
- Improved performance of notifications loading
- Abstract will now offer to move itself to your Applications folder if ran from elsewhere
- Fixed an issue that would cause deleted layers to return during a merge under certain circumstances.
- Fixed several circumstances where the layer history or comments would fail to load, resulting in forever spinners.
- Fixed an issue that would make it impossible to navigate through layers while in overlay compare mode
- Fixed an issue that would cause the desktop app to appear as “Offline,” when in fact the internet was available
- Fixed an issue that would prevent commits from uploading to the server if you signed out of your account before the sync had completed
- It’s no longer possible to lose changes by linking or unlinking a library file while there are outstanding uncommitted changes
- We added a safeguard to prevent merging a branch twice by clicking the button really fast
- Fixed an issue where previews would not generate while offline
- Fixed an issue that would cause previews on a branch to disappear until the app is reloaded after discarding changes
- There were a number of places where you couldn’t select text. Now you can select to your heart’s content.
- Fixed an issue where the unread notification badge would get out of sync with reality after viewing notifications through the web app
- You can now delete a project that was created offline and never synced with the server
- Libraries in the file list are now sorted alphabetically
- This build fixes an error that would prevent committing after creating new text or layer styles in a library file.
This build includes a fix for two pretty gnarly bugs that prevented files from opening correctly from Abstract and prevented previews from generating for affected commits.
Be sure to download this one. Special thanks to the customers who were able to screenshare with our engineers so we could piece the puzzle together. You are champions. 🏆💕
Hey everyone! Thank you for your patience with us releasing three builds in three days - please know that this is because we care, we're tracking errors and we're fixing them fast.
Your help reporting issues is greatly appreciated and, as always, you’re welcome to reach out to email@example.com if you need help.
- An issue that caused files to not open or successfully generate previews in some circumstances
- A crash in Sketch when using color picker for some documents
- Files automatically upgrading if you open them on other people's branches
This patch fixes an issue that was uncovered where uncommitted changes could be lost when opening a file for the first time in Sketch 51.
If you were affected by this bug please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you recover work from a backup.
- We added support for shared text and layer styles in Sketch 51
- A refined flow for upgrading Sketch files between versions
- Support for seat based billing
- Performance improvements in the layer detail, you should see less spinners and get to your artboards faster.
- Added CMD+C to quickly copy the text from a layer in Inspect
- The branch overview tab got a spruce up for quick access to changed files, collections and a larger area for the branch summary
- We now warn you when quitting the app with uncommitted changes, just to be safe
- We added the ability to inspect the root layer in a canvas and measure against it in Inspect, keep the feedback coming!
- Improved support for system proxy settings
- We fixed some measurement issues in Inspect with groups
- It’s no longer quite as easy to create two branches with the same name by accident
- Fixed an issue that could result in the UI getting stuck “generating previews” when quitting while this action was in progress.
- Crash when inspecting borders with gradients
- Introducing: Inspect. Get measurements, redlines and styles from any layer in Abstract. See our announcement post for more information!
- Clarified language in notifications for members added / removed
- Previews cache is now cleared for branches when they are merged or archived
- Various performance wins when syncing a branch
- It's now possible to share a link to a specific comment
- Comments are now highlighted when navigating to them
- Primary button styling is now white to better clarify
- People and members tabs now show when the person joined your team rather than joined Abstract
- Clarified the language of notifications when someone is added or removed from a project
- We made syncing branch metadata changes with the server more reliable
- A potential race condition that could result in duplicate files appearing in the files list
- Notification unread count now updates correctly
- Collection layers showing as removed after a commit is created while viewing the tab
- Incorrect text color on network indicator when out of sync
- Incorrect project icons in some activity items
- Improved handling of offline state when loading comments
- Comments -no-longer-include-tons-of-unneccessary-hyphenation
- Designs are now pixel perfect when zooming past 100%
- The layer set is now preserved when changing tab in LayerDetail
- Using the up/down arrow keys in the Update Flow no longer exits the update
- Fixed an issue that made it possible to post a comment twice
- Fixed the wrong file potentially opening in Sketch after restoring a commit or using commit to a new branch functionality
- Fixed an issue that could result in not all comments being visible when viewing a collection presentation
- Fixed an issue that could result in the app prompting to commit “empty” changes
- Fixed an issue that could result in the app showing as in sync (while that not being the case) after starting offline