Branches Release Notes
The updated Slack integration for Abstract Notebooks automatically shares notifications for notebook reviews to one or more of your Slack channels of choice, and unfurls Notebook links pasted into Slack.
- Notebooks users can easily cut and copy images and frames in a Notebook using common keyboard shortcuts Cmd/Ctrl+X and Cmd/Ctrl+C.
- Images and frames copied and pasted into the same Notebook will retain all annotations and comments. Those pasted to differing Notebooks will simply paste the image or frame.
- Copy and pasted Figma frames will continue retain the link to Figma.
Get back to your original Figma file right from your notebook. Users can now link a Figma frame to a file, and Abstract will link all frames from that file across the organization.
Learn more here.
- Users can now paste images from their clipboards into their notebooks - no more saving content to your desktop!
Branches Pro administration
- Updated billing plans to include Branches Pro plan. New Branches organizations can now self-administer and select this plan, which allows unlimited Contributor seats to be added.
Improved Notebook Template Selection
- We've improved the experience to select a template when you create a notebook.
Project naming conventions
- Changed project naming conventions to remove restriction on project name uniqueness.
* Elevated static images to behave in the same way as imported artboards - users can now double-click to see the detail view and add comments and annotations to new images.
Figma and Sketch plugin updates
- Only show projects with notebooks that you can make updates to.
- (Sketch only) Adds support for dark mode.
- A new Jira integration connects design and development work together in a Notebook.
- See the status, priority, ticket name, and last updated date of Jira ticket links inside Notebooks.
New onboarding experience
- New users will now see a pre-made Notebook in a private project, walking them through the key features and capabilities of Notebooks.
Comment edit indicators
- If a comment it edited and updated, users will see the text (edited) inline with their comment.
Moving Notebooks between projects
- When needed, users can now change which project their Notebooks lives in to better organize their work.
- The series of Notebook updates, reviews, and comments are available by clicking the activity icon in the upper right corner of the Notebook. Activities include the user making the change as well as the time it occurred and repeated events are consolidated into a single activity.
- For example, if you left 5 comments in a notebook, 1 comment activity will be logged to note that you've left 5 comments. Activities will be rolled up for Notebook content updates, frame additions and updates, and when adding reviewers.
This week, we began sending a weekly email which gives an overview of Notebook activity in each organization. The email includes:
- Notebooks that require attention (because of outstanding reviews, inactivity, or a notable change in status)
- Most active notebooks in the last week
- General activity counts in the last week (Notebooks opened/closed, and Reviews opened/closed)
Create focused comments and collaborate using annotations on imported Figma/Sketch frames
- Click [A] for a quick shortcut to create either a single-point or rectangular annotation.
- On/off toggle to temporarily hide annotations from view.
- Click an annotation box to scroll its associated comment into view.
- Edit an annotation after you’ve submitted your comment by editing the comment.
We've added the ability to post comments in review threads, making each review more interactive and iterative
- Any Contributor can comment in a review thread without having been requested for a review.
- Requested reviewers are able to comment and optionally submit their review as Approved or Changes Requested.
We’ve released a new Sketch Plugin which integrates directly with Notebooks.
- Add and arrange designs directly from Sketch into beautiful presentations that display your work and the context behind it.
- Access all your Notebooks from within Sketch, and publish any artboards or components you’ve worked on in one click.
- Update all your work in Notebooks in a single click, without leaving Sketch or having to rearrange or recreate presentations of your work for review.
Fixed a crash scenario when saving files from sketch.
- We addressed a race condition that could cause an “uncommitted changes” notice to falsely appear for some users.
- To prevent issues with opening Sketch files, we’ve automatically enabled the Abstract Sketch plugin should it become disabled
- You may have seen our new Pride icon. We updated it to be more accessible in your dock. During Pride, we acknowledge the important work that's been done by the Black LGBTQIA+ community and celebrate our LGBTQIA+ and intersectional team members and customers.
This month we’re celebrating Pride, amplifying black voices in design, and introducing a smoother, faster Abstract. Keep your flow state flowing with smarter syncing, and share links to specific sections within your Collections with one click.
- It’s no longer possible to get yourself in a sticky situation by reverting to a commit before a branch was updated from its parent
- We simplified the titlebar and syncing menu to make the app status clearer and cleaner
- Checklists in markdown comments and descriptions will now be rendered correctly
- The project overview screen was cleaned up to improve navigation
- We added a one-click link to share specific sections of your collection
- View your layers with improved clarity with the option of solid background colors
- Commit titles are now denoted as required
- We’ve been rebuilding data loading across the application to enable us to load things faster and require less syncing.
- Loading the project overview screen will load much faster and no longer show a spinner in most circumstances
- Pushing commits and changes to server is faster
- The app now correctly restores the previous project and branch again when reloading or refreshing
- In inspect, layers with resizing constraints now work within symbol instances with horizontal smart layout
- Fixed an issue where review text may not be cleared after submission and would be visible if you tried to leave a second review
- Disabled some controls while offline that should be unavailable
- Fixed a bug when exiting fullscreen with Escape key would exit out of collection entirely
- Discarding changes to all files not closes the commit modal
- Improved rendering speed of collections screen
- Fixed a case with possible infinite loading when attempting to upgrade or downgrade a users membership
- Fixed an issue where the context menu on layers in a collection would sometimes display less options
- Fixed a case where a library is removed on the parent branch and then you update, the removal never made it to the child branch
- Fixed up some input styling in dark mode
- Fixed an issue where deleted project sections would not be reflected on other users machines and would appear to be un-deletable
- Fixed an issue that would result in a blank screen in the update flow after files are upgraded
- We addressed a race condition where the app could show uncommitted changes even after committing
- The “commit changes” button in Sketch is now correctly disabled whilst a commit is already being written
- Fixed an issue where inspect boundaries would be misaligned on very thin artboards
- Fixed an issue where thumbnails in collections were misaligned at some screen sizes
- Various UI improvements for dark mode and loading states in inspect
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented flyovers from closing when clicking outside their bounds
- The correct icon for the file type as now shown in the sidebar when updating a branch with conflicts
- We added support for Sketch v66 🎉.
- Fixed an issue where when signed out, the titlebar displayed functionality as if signed in.
- Fixed an issue where conflict resolution for diverged branches would be inaccurate.
This release we’re helping you move projects forward, faster. We’ve improved developer handoff in Inspect by making it easier to navigate from nested symbols to symbol masters. We also added the option to overlay conflicts when updating a branch from its parent.
- In Inspect mode, you can now swiftly navigate to symbol masters (and back).
- We added a new control to change the background color when viewing a layer detail.
- It’s now possible to create a collection on another team member’s branch.
- You can create a new branch from old commits, just right click on the commit you want to branch from.
- Presentation mode improvements, including larger previews, zoom controls, and better theme switching.
- We added the option to overlay conflicts when updating a branch from its parent.
- Added warnings when creating sizable commits, to help prevent downstream performance issues for teams.
- Added warnings when importing sizable files, to help prevent downstream performance issues for teams.
- Clarified messaging around sync and generation of assets, to help reduce confusion when asset generation takes longer than expected.
- It’s now possible to cancel opening or exporting files.
- Performance improvements for panning dense artboards with several nested layers in Inspect.
- Repeating symbols with unique overrides will no longer override layout redlines in Inspect.
- In Inspect we also now only “adjust to fit” symbol instances with horizontal smart layout enabled, previously all symbol instances would shrink and grow horizontally from overrides.
- Fixed a rare case where the syncing activity might display 0 failed jobs.
- When archiving a branch any child branches now display correctly as being children of the next parent without needing to reload.
- Fixed an issue where the dialog immediately closes on creation of a new file.
- The “Create Collection” buttons are now disabled when offline.
- XD files that are shown in conflict resolution now correctly display as XD files, rather than Sketch files.
- When archiving a branch any child branches now immediately display correctly in the UI instead of disappearing.
- Fixed an issue that could result in clones failing.
- The toast message now dismisses correctly when attempting to archive a branch with uncommitted changes.
- Minor styling issues.
Grouping your artboards into Collections is a great way to organize and present your work using Abstract. Now, with the ability to create sections within your Collections, you can categorize and arrange your artboards in a way that’s easy to navigate and understand.
- Sections within Collections make it easier to organize and present your work.
- Fixed a data loading race condition that could result in no conflicts being shown when updating a branch. If you think you were affected by this issue please contact Support and we will help you through some easy steps to resolve.
- Fixed a regression where branches in a synced project wouldn’t load while offline.
- Child branches no longer disappear (until the app is reloaded) when a parent branch is archived.
- Fixed an issue on the Project Collections pane where users might see a truncated list of "archived" collections.
- An error that occurred while opening some XD files when they contained references to external libraries.
- Using arrow keys in a user selection dropdown no longer clears the search results.
- A small display issue with the new branch status badges.
- Several issues around loading and filtering Collections at the project level.
Branch status labels give more visibility and clarity around in-flight designs. Plus: what remote design leadership looks like before and after Abstract.
- Branch status labels got a new look. You now also have two new status options: “In development” and “Paused.”
- User selection inputs now load more users as you scroll, without requiring a search term.
- Improved commit UI for a smoother experience.
- Fixed a scenario where the activity feed may show an endless loading spinner while switching between branches or projects.
- Diverged branches now display in “quick jump” search results.
- Fixed a scenario where collections were not dismissible.
- Fixed a flash of the welcome illustration when restoring the application to a previous branch.
- Added a “No Section” option for projects where sections have not yet been created.
- Fixed a crash in the “manage reviewers” dialog.
- Fixed a flash of an error "This section already exists" when creating a new project section.
- Fixed project settings to allow you to update project asset generation settings.
- Fixed an issue when re-reviewing a branch you’d potentially see text from your previous review.
- The reaction emoji picker dialogue is better positioned on the screen so you won’t miss it.
- Closing a collection opened from the master branch collections no longer redirects to the project collections.
- Personal organizations no longer show a call to action to “Invite teammates”
- Comment counts are now accurate for layers duplicated across pages.
- Fixed an issue where the project collections screen filtered to “Master” would show collections other than those created on Master.
- Attempting to create a project with a duplicate name now correctly shows an error.
- This build adds support for Adobe XD v28
Enterprise customers, merge restrictions are here! You can now decide who can merge branches to master for each project. Also, read our roundup of the news you might have missed on Design Twitter.
New for Enterprise
- Merge restrictions
- We launched a new wizard experience to help Org creators get their team up and running.
- We added two new branch statuses: In Development and Paused.
- We centralized all admin controls under Organization Settings.
- We added a quick jump input box to the desktop app’s title bar.
- We added an author filter to the branch list.
- We updated the Edit menu for files and layers.
- We added navigation breadcrumbs on project and branch views.
- We improved the flow for managing contributors from the Billing page.
- You can now assign a section to a project while creating or editing it (previously this required organization admin permissions).
- Previews on the layer canvas and thumbnails now render in retina.
- People management screens now load progressively.
- Notifications will now always refresh when your computer wakes after sleeping.
- @ mentions are now displayed in the order of closest match, rather than alphabetically.
- We fixed an issue that prevented admins from reviewing designs where their feedback had not been previously requested.
- We fixed an issue where XD files incorrectly displayed the ability to Edit latest in Sketch.
- We no longer limit branches to 3 levels of nesting in a project’s left sidebar.
- We fixed the order in which pending commits are displayed on layer detail.
- We fixed an issue where the right-click menu wasn’t working on branches in left sidebar.
- We fixed an issue where deleted branches didn’t appear in archived tab immediately after deletion.
- We fixed an issue where the Inspect sidebar crashed on style overrides with unset borders.
- We now display required reviews first on the Reviews page.